Even the best quality app cannot be brought to the customer if marketing fails. In this article, we show you which factors are necessary for successful mobile app marketing
– from supposedly simple aspects such as the name to the different marketing channels.
Preparations before the launch
A mobile app without a simple and easy to remember name will soon be forgotten by your customers. Follow the tips below regarding the name, category, and icon:
– The name should be short and simple at the same time.
If you are aiming for global marketing
, it should also be easy to pronounce abroad. Not all letter combinations go off just as easily abroad. Also, try to put some key keywords in the name if it’s more than a short word.
– Choose a category that best suits your app.
Some apps which developed by app developers
cover multiple areas, so you should consider which category you see as particularly strong. Try to estimate the number of downloads you need to be in the top 10 in a given category. The goal seems unrealistic? Then maybe you better choose another category. The value of an entry in the top 10 should not be underestimated.
– In the end, the content of an app counts, but you must not do without an icon that is as convincing as possible. It practically serves as an eye-catcher and draws the attention of your potential customers to the icon. Work with contrasts and best convey the purpose of your app using the icon. This is not easy, which is why you should consult a professional design agency if necessary.
Also important, but forgotten by many online marketing managers are screenshots. Take some screenshots that show the highlights of the app in the best possible light. At the same time, explain how the app works and what advantages the user receives from the installation. The rule is: short, convincing arguments are always better than longer text deserts.
Use of marketing channels before the launch
Your app will be most successful if it generates a large number of downloads immediately after the launch and thus occupies one of the top positions within a category. The quality of the app alone will not be enough to achieve this goal. Make sure to get as much attention as possible for your app
in advance, and contact websites that specialize in app reviews or your specific industry. Write to the people in advance concerning the actual release and present your app in a few sentences. Not all websites will accept your suggestion. Therefore, you should make a longer list in order to be able to win some partners.
The sooner you take care of getting in touch, the better: A mobile app must develop its own momentum right from the start and generate more and more downloads in order to be successful. Reviews that arrive in the first few weeks after an app is released are, therefore, of limited help. These reviews of your app do not necessarily have to appear in industry-related publications
. If you landed a “big hit” that is interesting for a large number of users across platforms, you could also try it with general daily newspapers.
Marketing of the finished app
For the promotion of your mobile app, it is extremely important to exhaust all channels, since the competitive pressure is strong even in supposed “niche apps.” Otherwise, you will not get satisfactory download numbers for your app. Follow these tips:
– Smartphones are the devices of the social media generation. Accordingly, you should integrate Facebook, Twitter, and comparable channels into your marketing concept. Optimize all available doctoral channels and analyze in which areas additional efforts are worthwhile.
– Discover well-visited blogs that deal with the topic of your app. Contact the author and ask whether a report about your app can be integrated into the blog. This form of paid content reaches a lot of users on busy blogs and, at the same time, ensures a high level of interest among readers. There is hardly a better way to reach your own target group.
– If you operate a well-known website yourself
, you should also use it to distribute and advertise your mobile app
. Remember, it’s not enough to advertise on a single channel. You can only reach a truly comprehensive audience by consistently utilizing all the channels available to you.
A mix of classic forms of marketing (such as print advertising
) and the digital age is also possible. For example, place QR codes that lead directly to your app in the app store in print media. Stick to magazines that correspond to your industry, and you will reach a large part of your target group even before the start of your app. Practically, every modern operating system offers a scanner for QR codes
, either integrated or as an app in the store.